Discover the untold secrets of the art of blacksmithing here in our own interactive forge. Our exclusive blacksmith gift experiences allow everyone from intrigued novice to those with existing skills to test their metal at the anvil.
The gift experiences can last from a few hours to a full half day depending on your interests, alongside our resident blacksmiths you will learn the basics of the craft before being challenged to create something of your own to take home with you. Every time you use your toasting fork or poker you’ll be reminded of the unforgettable day spent in the heat of forge.
The experiences also make for thoughtful and unique gifts, ideal for those with a creative flair looking to try something a little different.
Please choose from either the blacksmith taster session, half day experience or the full day experience, we will then send you a voucher to allow you to phone and book a date with our blacksmith.
Blacksmith Taster Session
Duration: 2 Hours
An ideal gift for those looking to expand their creativity or simply try something new! During your two hours you will be taught some of the classic skills like scrolling and beating at the anvil. Your session will begin with a brief from our blacksmith on what you’ll be working on and some safety advice.
You’ll then be able to begin working on your chosen toasting fork or poker design with the help of our experienced artists.
Half Day Session
For passionate artists and those with a knack for metalworking already our half day experience is an ideal gift. Discover more about the traditions of the craft as well as getting stuck in to a day in the life of a modern blacksmith.
You’ll also be able to create something entirely unique to take home with you to ensure the day is truly unforgettable.
Full Day Session
Duration: 9.00am - 4.00pm
This the perfect experience for those with a working knowledge of metalwork looking to discover more about the traditions of blacksmithing. Our full day experiences are for those who really want to get stuck in and try a day in the life of a real blacksmith, you will work alongside our blacksmith during intense day-long experience. This covers the cost of materials for the creation of classical items and tuition.
The day begins early with things heating up right from the start with hot coals of the forge and a welcoming tea or coffee. Our Blacksmith will then delve straight in to some of key skills required of a smithy allowing them gauge your individual abilities. From here you will be able to begin creating and crafting your own piece to take home, discussing the design and techniques that you might use
Blacksmith Experience Terms & Conditions
- I understand that by booking this experience, I have given up my right to take legal action against the British Ironwork Centre / Black Country Metalwork’s should I suffer personal injury. I understand that by requesting to take part in working in the forge, operating and using the forge equipment, I am responsible for my own health and safety.
- All courses include materials. PPE will be provided but please wear sturdy shoes/boots and old clothes. No Fleeces please.
- I understand it is my responsibility to ensure I am wearing the equipment provided Goggles, gloves, apron and face shields are all provided.
- Age – minimum age limit is 18 years of age.
- Items that are made can be taken home at no extra cost providing that it is within the price bracket chosen.
- Additional items can be made at an agreed charge.
- You must attend a health and safety briefing before starting you experience.
- Please telephone us before starting your journey.
- As the forge is a potentially hazardous working environment unsuitable behaviour may result in removal from the premises.
When visiting to take part in your experience, please bring in your confirmation email as proof of purchase. Alternatively if you would like to collect a voucher from our showroom to give as a gift, bring along your confirmation email, again as proof of purchase, and we can issue you a voucher.
All experiences can be booked in, by emailing a proposed date and time of when you would like to take part to email@example.com. Please do ensure you bring along your confirmation email to the Centre on the day.